Monday, April 11, 2005

Andrew Sarris

“…. Its central conceit is that its hyperarticulate characters speak aloud all the time even when they are supposed to be thinking or writing…. I felt the ancient call of the Word stirring deep in my image-worshiping soul. I was aided in my regression in no small measure by Glenda Jackson as Stevie Smith, Mona Washbourne as her aunt, Alec McCowen…, and Trevor Howard…, each of whom weaves a spell of words that should leave any civilized viewer moved and shaken…. Stevie introduced me to a literary figure of whom I had never heard, and made her pour into my consciousness the wit and wisdom, the gallantry and grandeur, of a life examined with a morbid grace. I am very happy to have seen Stevie on a theatrical screen, if only because it reminds me that there was poetry even before there was Dolby Sound.

Andrew Sarris
something 30, 1981

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home